Thursday, 11 April 2013

A Return from MIA and an Earth Day Freebie!

Hello hello hello! ... I had to manually search the blogger website this morning - that's how long it has been since I've checked in! :P I have been missing in action due to wedding plans which are now over, the wedding was great! (will share a picture soon! =) I hope everyone has been busy with Easter plans, plants, insects and all things earth this month. Well for us Australian, we're just phasing into winter and the rest of the world is preparing for summer argggg!! I've decided to continue creating 'spring' and 'summer' related units to keep from losing it this winter! hehe

So, onto this week's freebie, I realise I have not shared 4 past freebies due to my absence. I promise I will make it up to you by working on a major freebie which will be released on TPT as well as the blog. :)
This month is important to be focusing on nature and teaching children about the importance of preserving it. With the availablity of all this technology, no wonder children tend to forget about mother nature and instead of exploring their local farm, they turn to an iPad farming app!

Here are some things that teachers can do to help educate about earth day - which is on the 22nd of April:

1. Explain that litering the environment is dangerous because of a number of reasons. Provide an example of what could happen to a plastic or glass bottle of coke / water if left on the grass / floor for a long time. 

2. Making sure they know how to recycle materials / waste. If there are bins at the school specific to recycling materials, ensure that they know where they are located. Explain that rubbish thrown in the playground or at home can bring unwanted insects and pests into the school and home. 

3. Ensure students learn about how to turn off all the lights in their homes before they leave the house / school. Explain that running too much electricity uses up a lot of energy and produces waste in the air and in turn creates pollution. 

4. Explain to children not to use too much water, for example when they brush their teeth. They must turn off the water and not allow it to run. 


FInally, these steps are best practiced and not only told. Now, onto the freebie. I am working on the full unit and should be released by next week. :)

For now, here is the link to a sample of the unit with two worksheets on procedural texts with Earth!


Hope you enjoy these! Until next time. :)

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Yara! Can't wait to see the photos! Great freebie too.
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Yes, photos please!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yara,
    Congrats! Sounds like you've been very busy this spring! I love your blog and the great freebies you offer. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Alison, Tania and Lesley for your lovely comments. I will be sure to post a photo to the blog once I come accross a normal one hehe.
    Cheers!
    Yara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute blog! I just saw you in the tpt forum and stopped by. I am your newest follower! You can come check me out too! teachinginbroncocountry.blogspot.com

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete